Self-assessment getting you down? Have a party!

Monday 15 January 2018

For many self-employed people, January is a nightmare of last-minute accounting. After all, the deadline for filing self-assessment tax returns online is January 31st, and that's the only option for anyone yet to complete theirs; the deadline for the paper form was back in October.

This means that for a large number of freelancers, January is spent working out their income and expenses, while also trying to recover from the holiday season, which can be stressful. However, one bar in London has taken note of how taxing January can be for the self-employed, and has created an event especially for them.

The Book Club is a popular venue in Shoreditch, consisting of two floors converted from their previous life as a Victorian warehouse. On Tuesday, January 23rd, from 5pm to 10pm, the bar will be hosting an event entitled: "Self-Assessment Party - Smash that Tax" for freelancers working on their returns.

On The Book Club's site, the bar writes: "It's that time of the year, post-Christmas pre-spring, when the tax man comes a-knocking. Don't suffer alone! Come along to The Book Club and enjoy some free coffees and tea in the basement for those working away on their self-assessment tax forms."

The free event will feature the aforementioned free teas and coffees, as well as relaxed music and some helpful advice in the form of handouts full of tax tips. There's also the benefit of being in a room full of people in the same situation as you, meaning - if you're feeling sociable - you might be able to get some of your most pressing questions answered by someone with more experience.

And, of course, it's a lot nicer to fill out your tax return in a place full of people, drinks and music than it is to do so in your office, especially if you work on your own. The Book Club site entreats people to "join a community of semi-miserable people who, together, will endeavour to be less miserable".

Of course, while a self-assessment party is a fun way to avoid tax return-related stress, it might not be the best place to go if you need high-quality financial advice. If this is the case, you don't want to risk being told the wrong thing, and might benefit instead from going to a proper accountant for contractors.

Brookson offer specialist contractor accountancy services for the self-employed, and have years of experience dealing with the finances of those who work for themselves. If you'd like advice on your tax return from a self-employed specialist, you can book a consultation with us to find out how we can help you.

By Victoria McDonnell

Get in touch

Please select your type of enquiry:

Brookson on Twitter